The Alpha Protec Plus System is designed for homes with a high demand for heating and hot water.
Manufactured by Alpha, the Protec Plus System is a high output fan-assisted condensing boiler that is designed with siting flexibility in mind. Made to meet larger output requirements, this boiler can provide heating for sealed central heating systems and also open systems if required. What’s more, the Alpha Protec Plus System can be supplied for use with natural gas or propane gas (LPG) and can be installed as a single unit or as part of a multiple boiler cascade system.
How Much Does this Boiler Cost?
The Alpha Protec Plus System is available in a range of outputs, including 50kW, 70kW, 90kW and 115kW. Prices vary dependant on the required output and you’ll need to put aside between £2,286 and £3,860 to purchase one of these high output system boilers. These prices do include VAT but not the cost of installation, so you’ll need to factor in an additional £1,000 to £2,500 to get the boiler fitted.
How will I know if this Boiler is Suitable for My Home?
Since the Alpha Protec Plus System is capable of delivering a high output, the boiler is perfect for homes with multiple bathrooms and where heating and hot water demands are high. So, if you have a large house and larger requirements, this could be the ideal boiler for you. As it’s a system boiler, it needs to be installed alongside a hot water storage cylinder but all the other important components are built into the actual boiler to make it easier for your engineer to install and service.
Even if you have high heating and hot water demand, you might not need a boiler with an extremely high output. If you pick a boiler that is too big for your home, you’ll waste money on not just the initial purchase but also running costs. To avoid choosing an oversized boiler, we suggest you ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to help you figure out if the Alpha Protec Plus System is suitable for you home.
Is it a High Efficiency Boiler?
Yes. The Alpha Protec Plus System meets 90% efficiency and should help to lower the cost of your energy bills. This boiler has some great features and controls as well, all of which help to ensure the boiler can be managed effectively and meet your heating and hot water demands without wasting energy.
Does this Boiler have a Good Range of Controls and Features?
Alpha’s Protec Plus System has a stainless steel heat exchanger, a 2m flying mains lead, built-in commissioning and fault finding, easy access for servicing and a plume management kit can be supplied if needed. The Protec Plus System is also supplied with type B23 configuration to allow for flexible siting and this can be changed to type C with the use of a flue adaptor kit. And like we mentioned before, the boiler is suitable for single unit or cascade installations.
How long is the Warranty on this Boiler?
The high output Alpha Protec Plus System comes with a 5-year warranty as standard.
Summary of Important Information
- Expect to pay between £2,286 and £3,860
- Heating output of 50kW, 70kW, 90kW and 115kW
- Protec Plus 50 Dimensions of 843mm (H) x 442mm (W) x 457mm (D)
- Protec Plus 70 Dimensions of 1038mm (H) x 600mm (W) x 502mm (D)
- Protec Plus 90 and 115 Dimensions of 1038mm (H) x 600mm (W) x 632mm (D)
- Uses gas as its fuel source
- A-rated for efficiency
- 5-year warranty as standard
Pros and Cons
Although not the cheapest system boiler in Alpha’s range of gas boilers, it’s still an affordable option for most large homes with greater requirements. We are surprised that the Protec Plus System doesn’t come with a lengthy warranty seeing as the brand offers longer warranty periods on some of its less expensive boilers, so it might be worth asking your installer if there’s a way this can be extended.
- Suited to large homes with larger output requirements
- Suitable for single unit or cascade installations
- Can handle high hot water demand with ease
- Easy to install, use and service
- Built-in commissioning and fault finding
- Stainless steel heat exchanger – maximises longevity, reliability and efficiency
- Provides maximum energy efficiency – reduce fuel bills and carbon emissions
- Excellent rating on Trustpilot – correct at time of writing in November 2020
- Alpha has an overall Which? score of 45%
- Requires separate cylinder
- 5-year warranty – would prefer a longer standard warranty