The smarter way to replace your boiler

  • Get FREE Quotes today
  • Compare quotes & save money
  • Over 5,000 engineers across the UK
Tell us about your job
Get Free Quotes

Central Heating Cover Prices: What You Need To Know

Your boiler and central heating system are essential when it comes to ensuring you stay warm and comfortable at home, and you need to rely on them even more during the cold winter months. Even though you can keep everything in good working order by having your boiler and central heating maintained regularly, there may be times when you need to call in an engineer to carry out repairs, which can end up costing you an arm and a leg. However, if your boiler or system breaks down and you have the correct cover, you’ll be protected against the expensive repair and you won’t have to pay the costly repair bill.

What is Central Heating Cover?

Central heating cover is a plan that gives you peace of mind that you won’t have to pay for expensive repairs should anything go wrong with your boiler or central heating system. Unlike boiler cover, central heating cover is a policy that not only covers the costs of repairs to your boiler and boiler controls but also your central heating system, including pipework, cylinders and everything else that is linked to your system.

You need to pay a monthly or annual fee to have central heating cover, and what is covered will depend on the policy you choose. Some insurers offer central heating cover with an annual service thrown in and others can provide you with a package that offers unlimited claims and call outs. As always, we recommend you shop around and compare central heating cover policies to get the best deal and the right level of cover for your needs.

Is Central Heating Cover Right for Me?

If you live in a rented property, you won’t need central heating cover as it’s your landlord’s responsibility to sign up for a policy that protects both the boiler and central heating system within your home. But if you’re a homeowner without any cover, it might be a good idea to get a central heating cover policy.

Even if you have an existing boiler cover plan, you should consider switching to central heating cover as it protects both your boiler and central heating system against the cost of breakdowns. As we mentioned above, there are some key differences between boiler cover and central heating cover, and whether the latter is right for you will depend on how much cover you believe you need.

Some buildings or contents insurance policies include cover against your boiler and central heating system, so be sure to check your policy before taking out a central heating cover with another insurer.

What Level of Central Heating Cover Should I Purchase?

The level of cover you need right now will depend on the age of your boiler and central heating system. If your entire system is old, it would be wise to take out a higher level of cover as your boiler and central heating system will be more prone to breakdowns. Having said that, there are several things you may want your cover to include even if your boiler and central heating system are relatively new, such as:

  • Free annual service and maintenance
  • Repairs to both your boiler and central heating system
  • A high or unlimited number of engineer call outs and claims
  • All parts and labour costs
  • Access to a 24/7 call centre to organise emergency call outs

When comparing central heating cover, really check the terms and conditions to determine if it’s the best policy for you. There are so many different plans to choose from but some deliver better value for money than others, as well as different excess options.

Central Heating Cover Prices: What are the costs?

The cost of central heating cover prices will depend on how much excess you choose to pay and the level of cover you require. As you’ve probably guessed, the higher the level of central heating cover, the higher the monthly or annual payment.

We’ve put together a table below that enables you to compare just some of the central heating cover prices and plans available from different providers in the UK, as well as the excess level and the monthly cost.

Cover ProviderPolicy Name & What’s CoveredExcess LevelMonthly Cost
British GasHomeCare Two: Boiler and
controls, central heating,
unlimited call outs, 24/hr
customer helpline and annual
boiler service.
EDF EnergyEDF Heating Protect Cover: Gas
boiler and controls, central
heating system, annual service
each year, up to £500 towards a
replacement boiler and parts and
labour with parts guaranteed for
12 months.
CorgiHomeplan Essentials: Gas boiler,
flue, controls, thermostats,
circulating pumps, motorised
valves, programmer, cylinders,
expansion tanks, immersions,
radiator and valves, pipes, fittings
and annual boiler service.
24/7 Home Rescue24/7 Heating Care: Boiler
breakdown, central heating
system and annual boiler service.
UK Boiler CareGold Cover: Gas boiler, central
heating system, emergency
repairs 24/7, parts and labour,
unlimited callouts and annual
boiler service.
*Prices correct at time of writing in September 2020

If you prefer, you can take out a plan that covers more things than just your boiler and central heating system, such as plumbing, drains and home electrics. It’s also worth mentioning that you’ll probably have to pay more for central heating cover if you have an oil or LPG boiler, rather than an energy-efficient gas boiler.

Some central heating cover providers often let you try their products for a reduced price for the first year or reward you with extras such as gift cards for taking out a new policy with them, so remember to shop around and compare policies before choosing a plan.