The Alpha E-Tec S System is ideal for most homes with more than one bathroom
Alpha’s E-Tec S System is a highly efficient boiler that comes in a choice of fully-modulating outputs and boasts a whole host of great features. As it’s a compact system boiler, it has space-saving advantages but it does still need to be installed alongside a separate hot water storage cylinder. This boiler is also competitively priced and suitable for small, medium and large-sized homes with multiple bathrooms and households with high hot water demand.
How Much Does this Boiler Cost?
The Alpha E-Tec S System is a good budget option that comes in three outputs of 20kW, 30kW or 35kW and typically costs from £825 to £945, including VAT and excluding the cost of installation. It’s hard to say how much you’ll need to spend on the fitting work as prices vary depending on whether you want your new boiler installed in a different place or you want to change the type of boiler you already have.
How will I know if this Boiler is Suitable for My Home?
All Alpha system boilers require a hot water storage cylinder to deliver hot water to taps and radiators. Most people with a system boiler keep their storage cylinder in the airing cupboard. As the Alpha E-Tec S System is available in a variety of outputs and capable of supplying hot water to multiple taps running at the same time, it’s perfect for small, medium and large homes with more than one bathroom. If you already have a system boiler, swapping to the Alpha E-Tec S System should be a simple process.
Don’t worry if you’re unsure about what type and size of boiler you need. Just ask a local Gas Safe registered engineer to figure this out for you.
Is it a High Efficiency Boiler?
It is. The Alpha E-Tec S System is an A-rated boiler, which means you’ll be investing in an incredibly efficient boiler if you decide to purchase it. An A-rated system boiler is also better for the environment and can help you to save money on your bills. This boiler also has a stainless heat exchanger and a Grundfos pump and hydroblock assembly, all of which help to improve not just performance but also boiler efficiency.
Does this Boiler have a Good Range of Controls and Features?
In addition to the stainless steel heat exchanger and high-efficiency Grundfos pump and hydroblock assembly, the Alpha E-Tec S System has a single electrode, easy-access dry-change NTCs and a combined condensate and pressure relief valve connection. It has a zinc-plated expansion vessel to prevent corrosion too.
How long is the Warranty on this Boiler?
If you purchase the Alpha E-Tec S System boiler, you’ll get a 7-year warranty as standard. This can be increased to 8 years if you get it installed with a Cyclone Plus magnetic filter or 10 years with a PremierPack Extra (which includes the Cyclone Plus filter).
Summary of Important Information
- Expect to pay between £825 to £945
- Heating output of 20kW, 30kW or 35kW
- E-Tec 20S Dimensions of 712mm (H) x 440mm (W) x 255mm (D)
- E-Tec 30S and 35S Dimensions of 712mm (H) x 440mm (W) x 276mm (D)
- Uses gas as its fuel source
- A-rated for efficiency
- 7-year warranty as standard
Pros and Cons
Since Alpha has a below-average Which? test score, you may want to do some more research and read customer reviews before you buy the E-Tec S System. Having said that, the brand currently has an ‘Excellent’ rating on Trustpilot so there seems to be a mix of positive and negative feedback. For now, you can check out our list of pros and cons below.
- Considerably cheaper than some other gas boiler brands
- Suited to small and medium-sized homes
- Can handle high hot water demand with ease
- Easy to install, use and service
- Stainless steel heat exchanger – maximises longevity, reliability and efficiency
- Grundfos pump – reduces energy use and fuel bills
- Zinc-plated expansion vessel to prevent corrosion
- Provides maximum energy efficiency – reduce fuel bills and carbon emissions
- Excellent rating on Trustpilot – correct at time of writing in November 2020
- 7-year warranty
- Alpha has an overall Which? score of 45%
- Requires separate cylinder