If you are keen to update your home to reflect advances in technology then you may want to consider a smart boiler. Learn all you need to know here.
You may have heard the term smart boiler or be the owner of any number of smart devices, but do you know what a smart boiler is and what it does? We are here to share everything you need to know so that you can smart-ify your home with confidence.
What Makes a Boiler Smart?
A smart boiler is simply a boiler that is controlled via a smart thermostat – yes, it is that simple! The important thing about smart thermostats is that you can control the temperature of your home from your smart devices and get an idea of how often you are choosing to use the heating.
So, What’s a Smart Thermostat?
This is where it gets interesting! Smart thermostats offer the same room temperature support that you’d expect from a regular thermostat, but they also have several other great features for you to enjoy, including:
- Remotely heating your home – meaning you can warm your house when you aren’t even home!
- Helping you to reduce your bills – by providing one-touch heating when you need it and recognising when you have hit the optimum temperature and turning itself back off.
- Offering seasonal support – as well as your user input, a smart thermostat uses weather forecasts to work out what the right temperature is and then uses this information to set the best temperature for your home.
- Learning your heating patterns – some smart thermostats are even able to learn when you have the heating on or off and use this information to pre-empt what you need.
Some of the newest smart thermostats are now able to give you hot water control too, but this is very much dependent on your boiler type and what your hot water needs are. In reality, we don’t feel it will be long until this becomes a standard feature for homes with the most modern boilers.
Can All Boilers be Paired with a Smart Thermostat?
If you are keen to get a smart thermostat up and running in your property, then knowing if your boiler is compatible is important. The vast majority of modern boilers can have a smart thermostat paired to them, giving you a high chance of success. However, if your boiler is old or has been damaged then you would need to first replace it with a modern boiler that has been designed to support smart living.
Can Smart Thermostats Be Paired to My Home Automation System?
This depends on the thermostat you get and the home automation system you have. Some options work with Alexa, Google Home, and Apple HomeKit. However, voice-controlled thermostats are not as widely available as you may have first thought and you may need to be willing to forgo this feature to get the best solution for your needs.
The Top 5 Smart Thermostats
There are lots of different smart thermostats for you to choose from, but it can become confusing when you start comparing the ones on offer. To help you decide on the best one to get, we have taken the top 5 options and shared key information about each below.
Baxi’s smart thermostat comes in the shape of the uSense – a device that is now fully combi boiler compatible. It is designed to look sleek and will fit both on a mounted wall bracket or can be moved around your property depending on your needs. The system is also compatible with OpenTherm, which provides you with a range of extra features such as the ability to diagnose a boiler fault.
- It is simple to use and looks sleek and modern wherever you store it.
- It is both iOS and Android compatible, giving you the ability to control it via your smart devices.
- It comes with OpenTherm compatibility for a great level of usage options.
Hive Active Heating 2
When you want to turn your heating on remotely, the Hive Active Heating 2 is a great choice. It links to your boiler to produce simple to use functions such as boost and heating plans as well as offering multi-zone heating and hot water options too. The app is simple to use and can store all your Hive products for quick access when you need to automate your home. Plus, with the heating plans and automatic switch off when a selected temperature is reached, you can look forward to saving money on your bills too.
- Has a superior design and is made from robust materials
- It is user-friendly and has an intuitive design
- There are many other Hive Products available that will work alongside this product
- It does require professional installation by a Hive engineer.
Wave Smart Control Pro
Worcester’s smart thermostat is called the Wave Smart Control Pro and offers both central heating and hot water automation from a connected smart device. This smart thermostat works with a wide range of Worcester boilers and can learn your heating behaviour so that it can provide a personalised system that is more efficient than ever before.
- More Worcester boilers are becoming Wave friendly but currently, there are only five combi boilers and 3 system boilers to choose from.
- You can access the Wave system via both Android and iOS devices
- It can learn your behaviour and help you save money on your bills
- Provides both central heating and hot water options
Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd Ed)
The Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd Ed) has been designed to be reliable and simple to use, especially if you are looking for something that can work your hot water and other home automation accessories. It is not as compatible as other smart thermostats, but Nest now offers smart TRVs so that you can use the thermostat to get your radiators to the right temperature without the expense of buying a new boiler (great when you already have a modern boiler installed.
- It’s been designed to offer more than just a traditional thermostat and can learn your usage patterns.
- It is robust and well designed.
- It can control other parts of your home including your hot water, alarms and more.
- It is perfect for smaller homes.
VSmart by Vaillant
The VSmart by Vaillant also offers to learn your heating behaviours so that you can heat your home more effectively and save money on your bills. It comes in a minimalist design and is probably the easiest smart thermostat to use out of our selection. It is quick to install and is battery operated, making it easy to move around the home when you need to. This smart thermostat has been designed to support the ecoTECH boiler range by Vaillant.
- It is more basic in features than other models but is very easy for anyone to use.
- It only works with the ecoTECH boiler range
- Can be controlled with Google Home or Amazon Alexa
- Uses the external temperature to keep your home warm and efficient.
Each of the top 5 smart thermostats is designed to impress, but understanding the pricing can be confusing. To give you a clear sense of the amount of cash you will need to spend, take a look at our overview now:
|Model and Brand||Average Price Range|
|Baxi uSense||£80 – £175|
|Hive Active Heating 2||£179 – £279|
|Wave Smart Control Pro||£210 – £275|
|Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd Ed)||£179 – £220|
|VSmart by Vaillant||£150 – £245|
How Much Will a Smart Boiler Cost?
If you are keen to proceed with a smart boiler purchase then you will need to decide on the type of boiler that works best for your property. The three main choices include a combi boiler, a system boiler and a regular boiler. The starting price for each of these boilers is around £1000, including installation fees. These prices can go up to around £3500 and will be dependent on your location, property size and boiler choice. Take a look at our comparison tools to help you find the best solution for your needs.
Is a Smart Boiler Worth it?
Many consumers find themselves questioning whether it is worth investing their money in a smart boiler system. At Boilers Prices, we think it is! Our main reasons include the fact that so many of our home systems are now smart, that it makes sense for your boiler to follow suit. In addition, smart boilers are modern and can offer you money-saving solutions when it comes to reducing your utility bills, a welcome relief for everyone!
At Boilers Prices, we have the most up to date boiler information ready for you to use. Simply check out our comparisons and reviews before letting us help to connect you to an engineer that can provide the service you need. We do the hard work so that you can buy with confidence every time.